RUNNING WILD Forum Index

<  Raise Your Fist  ~  [translation] DVD - April 2009, Part 3

Jens
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2008 Posts: 8071 Location: Bucharest - RO
Sabina:
Rolf, now we finally made it onto an real ship beside the fact that this one is lying in this port and will never sail away again.

Rolf:
yes, true.

Sabina:
we talked some minutes ago, 30 years of Running Wild, 20 years of Wacken Open Air.

Rolf:
true

Sabina:
and, Running Wild barely played some gigs in the last few years. but, to this special cause there will be an Running Wild show at the Wacken Open Air?

Rolf:
yes, thatís true, and with an lot of surprises. we will play many titles we never played the last 20 years and partially never played live and in sight of this, it will be an very interesting program for the fans. the only bad point will be, that this will be the very last Running Wild concert ever.

Sabina:
definitely?

Rolf:
yes, definitely.

Sabina:
so, the last show forever at the Wacken Open Air?

Rolf:
true, and there will be no regular studio-album too. you should never say never, but for the moment there are no plans in sight of this. absolutely nothing.

Sabina:
what are your feelings now, while you are telling me this?

Rolf:
hmm, maybe, not in the way you should imagine. because i, deep in myself, still said good-bye (to the band RW) already 3 to 4 years ago.
and finally, it was not planned to do something big again. but, because of the 20th anniversary of the Wacken Open Air, 30 years of Running Wild, i mean, as good as could be. and the event can not fit better to that, what Running Wild is (stands for) and in the last instance to end the thing in an worthy way for all, celebrating an big party together and to bring back the great classics onto the stage.

Sabina:
last show forever, hmm, will we sit down here because i think, we still have something to talk about.

Rolf:
yes

Sabina:
i think it is exciting, you said an moment ago, that you will play songs from the whole era. will the fans be able to choose something, will you do something via the bands website?

Rolf:
hmm, this will be a little bit difficult, because Running Wild at the moment is not an "good-team", it is an solo-project with employees. in sight of this, they can learn from the program, which they get from me. and, it is difficult to say, so do the half program. so this would be really difficult. insofar, we thought about that for a very long time, what we want to play and what not. the program should not be in the way, we would play on an regular tour to promote an new album; there will be much titles the fans would not expect, this i really know at the moment. especially in the middle part of the show, which will altogether last for 2 hours, there will be much surprises.

Sabina:
altogether, how many songs will you play?

Rolf:
overall, we will play 21 songs. what is, for Running Wild conditions, an real amount. this has to be said for now.

Sabina:
you said an moment ago, that you have not played these titles since 20 years; so will you have to learn these titles again from the beginning, school yourself or are they floating from themselves?

Rolf:
let's say it this way: the main-riffs not but if it stands for the solo's, there sometimes can be an big question-mark above my head...this is quite clear, when you never played these songs live, sometimes only recorded them and partially never played them live; then these are things, where you have to think about "how was this again?". but, this makes it interesting to let the whole Running Wild history again pass before your eyes, what for instance happened in the past, what anecdotes are unites with what titles or tours or so, this is really interesting.

Sabina:
because you talked about anecdotes one moment ago, do you have one beautiful (special) from the past 30 years? i think, there happened a lot?

Rolf:
yes, there was collected a lot. but, the most spectacular one, written to history, was the exploding drummer. ha. especially for me.

Sabina:
please tell, what happened?

Rolf:
it is very well known, that we used a lot of pyrotechnics. at one show, our drummer at that time, i now can tell that it was Hasche, had the glorious idea to have an fire-ditch around his drum kit which should start at the beginning of the last song and at the songs end he wanted to stand on the base drums wearing an leather-jacket armed with lightnings / pyrotechnics on the jackets-sleeves, these shower of sparks and at the same moment it should give an booom. he thought, that this would be really horny for the show's end. unfortunately, we did not convened the pyrotechnics because the pyrotechnic mixed up the both channels...so that while the song was played, the bombs started to explode and the drum kit too, i for myself had not recognized that, i only recognized that the timing of the drums fluctuated, went down a little bit and recovered itself and the joke was not already over, the fans laughed till death, great joke. please do it again, the exploding drummer. this you will now have to do forever. but the joke for me was, when i was turning around after saying good-bye to the audience, really, 2 security-guys carried Hasche away with such big holes in his trousers, black face this way, half unconscious but not injured. i could not go on any longer, i collapsed laughing.

Sabina:
but he was indeed not injured?

Rolf:
no, he really was not injured. this way i would not had laughed. he only was frightened a little bit and 5 minutes later he could laugh about it too. it was nearly like in an Buster Keaton movie.

Sabina:
and in sight of the pyros, never happened something to you?

Rolf:
no, nothing happed in sight of this to me. these are some trifles, some jokes you can say. we sometime had played somewhere in south Germany, don't remember which tour it was, and it was an typical old sports-hall somewhere in the countryside, in the Bavarian countryside, south-Germany. and, our pyro-roadie had normally, when he had enough room, put the pyros for the loud explosions behind the stage. in this place, he only had the possibility to put them under the stage. so, like said before, it was an old sports-hall with built in an wooden stage, where the Bavarians use to celebrate their folk-festivals. so came the moment where the first pyro should start and it went like in an Laurel and Hardy movie. because, from under the stage, which was open in the front, was coming an big dust cloud and the first few rows had all black faces and the whole room was wrapped in fog. i really had to control myself to play on but these were small harmless things. these were not the things where somebody was injured or spectacular ones. these were more such trifles, like we had with an drumriser. an hydraulic drumriser which was driving up and down, and at the end of the show we wanted to take a bow, the hydraulic failed and then our drummer at this time wanted to know, how he could get down from the risen platform, he took an run-up and jumped off from the risen drum kit and wanted to take a bow too and then from backstage came the order "Don't turn around, your trouser is lacerated". the seam was truly lacerated from top to down. and the joke here was, that the trouser lacerated at each show on a different part and had to darned again so that, at the end of the tour, the trouser had turned to garbage. but like said before, these are so small jokes, the fans mostly do not recognize. we don't had spectacular one's. we only had at the Pile Of Skulls tour an very big skull, 2 to 3 meters tall, where the skullcap was open and the drumriser and the drum was stored in. and we played somewhere in eastern Germany where the stage was torn into 2 parts. and so there was an terrace of 10 centimeters in height between the 2 parts in only 1 meter distance to the skull. and, we all talked prior the show to be careful here, not to fall down here. anyway, i was going backwards, get stuck on the ledge and fall into one eye of the skull. i could not get out of here and so the guitar-roadie had to pull me out of the skulls eye. these are so small anecdotes near the at the edge. with the skull was another one, when it was he was very new; we carried it on an trailer at the end of the tour-bus and sometime on the highway the trailer began to roll and finally totally turned around and the most spectacular result was,
an 3 meter tall skull lying for 2 hours on the highway and all the people passing the skull were staring at the skull and could not believe. i mean, when has somebody expected an giant skull while driving on an highway?
but, mercifully, we never had some accidents where somebody was injured. these are small anecdotes, where you can laugh at or another interesting thing was, we had an day-off and one of our musicians; i will not tell you the guys name to protect the accused, by the way it was not me; had drunk a little bit more because this was an day-off. we were parking at an small town because some of us wanted to go shopping for the evening. i myself and the other musician stayed at the tour-bus, like said before the other guy was a little bit drunk, so he said, that he wanted to go pee. we were parking near an river, it was going downhill and then there was the river, 3 to 4 meters wide. and it was winter and the guy does not came back. he simply not came back. and i was thinking around and it spontaneous came to my mind, had an idea, i had prophetic seen something ahead, that the musician could have been fallen into the river. in that moment the bus-door went open and an very wet musician was standing in front of me, he was fallen into the river while peeing into it. and the joke here is, that this guy was the only one, who was not getting ill at this tour.

Sabina:
have you ever thought about writing down all your memories, so an Rock'n Rolf, Rock'n Roll book, Running Wild the whole history or something else?

Rolf:
yes, there was such a thing via the Metal Hammer, there was an request by them and it was just started but just went off to the sands. the project really was never get going and i don't had enough time for such an thing. an book, to write it really interesting for the fans, will cost half an year till up to an whole year. i never had that time, so that was the main-reason.

Sabina:
what is your main-job now, you are preparing for the Wacken concert, but what does Rock'n Rolf now beside Running Wild?

Rolf:
yeah, i do an project with other musicians together, i got an offer from an place which is far, far away from here. i could not reject. insofar, these are not my musical roots i used too the past 30 years. maybe the roots before that, more that Rock'n Roll it is an true Rock'n Roll band. it is all about fun and good mood, the main thing about that.

Sabina:
hmm, a good mood. now we will hope, that all the people who visit the 20th anniversary Wacken in August will have this one. you told some minutes some anecdotes, fire, we know Rock'n Rolf and Running Wild means ship on the stage, pirate ship...at the moment i have an vision how the great stage could look at the Wacken show when Running Wild will play there, hmm will my visions come true?

Rolf:
at the moment i can tell you nothing in sight of this, there are different planningís, but these are all things, which must be checked if they are doable. i say so. we will do an spectacular show, we will have an giant stage-setting too as Running Wild ever had, that there was no different at all. we will use lots of pyros, this time there will be many....because we are at the planning degree. there are no matters decided, it is much to early. there will be many things, which have not yet taken place at any Running Wild show let's say theatrical effects, elements, we have some things we are following as ideas. I will still not be more specific at the moment.

Sabina:
but we can expect, that this what will be held at Wacken will be available as an dvd-release afterwards?

Rolf:
yes, these are the plannings, an dvd and live-cd and i think that this will be an worthy ending for the fans too, to have this an document, the last Running Wild show, i think this is an important thing.

Sabina:
will there be tears from Rock'n Rolf, will there be any emotions by Rock'n Rolf, do you know that?

Rolf:
no, i don't believe this. i am not a man who looks back but i am looking forward. for me it is still important, i am living in presence for the future, the past is an part of the presence, clearly, it has led to but i don't look back wistful. i have never done this, this was not my thing. i am happy because new things tend to come now and to tackle them. for me that is simply an challenge.

Sabina:
would Rock'n Rolf become an other Rolf, would it not have given Running Wild?

Rolf:
it would surely be missing a lot of experiences but instead there would we other ones. it would be hard to say, if this had changed something in the life, hmm, in first row i am still an person not an musician, this has turned to be my job, this is....so it is in my case, this is only a part of my life; i needed points, which had nothing to do with this to draw new power for this, so to do other things which are not connected to this. there are much musicians, who can not let it go, who claws it... only music, music, music. since i turned into an professional, i do not do it this way.

Sabina:
at the interviews beginning we talked about you have taken the guitar to your hands at the age of 11, hmm, with the projects you now have at your mind you will not lay the guitar away. it has only past a part of your life.

Rolf:
no, the project is yet finished, the record already published in quotation marks, it is not available via normal trade, it can only be ordered via the internet and this was important to us, to go other ways as usual as an Rock band with this typical record-contracts, to try out completely other ways to see that there are other possibilities to handle this as an musician. this, for me, was something completely new, something exciting to develop an concept and to bring it to the people.

Sabina:
yes Rolf, i will thank you for this interview

Rolf:
me too

Sabina:
think you haven't done any interview for a long time. think, this is the first one since 4 years

Rolf:
yes, that is right.

Sabina:
again, many, many thanks for talking so deeply from the past and for letting your whole history happen revue again. hmm, i think and in the name of the fans too and of Rockalarm too, we will be very, very excited about Wacken, 20 years of Wacken Open Air and 30 years of Running Wild and about an super ingenious show.

Rolf:
at any rate.

Sabina:
i hope, that you will give me the chance to talk to you afterwards the show?

Rolf:
it is certainly open up somehow.

Sabina:
cool, again to see, to let it then happen revue and to see how the gig worked out. maybe some last words to the fans for the Wacken show?

Rolf:
yes. first i will thank all the fans for their never ending support over the past decades, this is quiet clearly, for the great career i had with Running Wild and i hope, that the show will be pleasing you all and that this will be an worthy ending of the project Running Wild, thanks again.

Sabina:
many thanks. Rolf, have another nice day at Hamburg.

Rolf:
all serene

[translation by Uli Bauer + Seewolf]