RUNNING WILD Forum Index

<  Raise Your Fist  ~  [translation] DVD - Wacken 2009

Jens
Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Site Admin Joined: 12 May 2008 Posts: 8071 Location: Bucharest - RO
Sabina:
Is that Cola or Whisky?

Rolf:
It's just Cola. For now. I haven't been on stage yet.

Sabina:
Don't you drink anything on stage? Or before?

Rolf:
No, nothing. Never. On principle.

Sabina:
Not even on stage?

Rolf:
No, never. Because I wouldn't keep up with what I do on stage – physically. Definitely not.

Sabina:
Keep up physically… A few weeks ago we met at the Headbanger's Ballroom.

Rolf:
Yes, right.

Sabina:
And you were just starting rehearsals. So, was everything cool?

Rolf:
Yes, of course. I mean, we have been preparing very intensively. And we also have a new bass-player. So it was a bit more work to show him the ropes, in a way. But basically it worked fine, you know. We took a lot of time, also practiced as a trio when he wasn't available. So that the band gets really tight. That was really important for us, somehow. Because the setlist is really tough – it's a program of about 2 hours. Including many surprises, very many. Things that nobody expects us to play live, so it was some kind of challenge in a way.

Sabina:
Are you nervous right now?

Rolf:
Nope. I never really had any kind of stage fright. It's almost like entering the rehearsal room when I go onto the stage. Well, you can't get rid of it, anyway. So if you got it, you got it. And I never got it, fortunately. But I know different cases. … Well, let's see. It starts at 8:15. Or rather a few minutes past 8, because there will be a little surprise on stage: A pirate show created by the "Hamburg Dungeon", who are going to perform on stage as a kind of introduction for the show. I can't really tell you too much, any details. But they're already walking around here. The ones over there, looking a bit wretched, that's them, the actors.

Sabina:
You have to get dressed, too. Will it be a pirate outfit today?

Rolf:
Yes, the whole band will look like that. We thought: That's the image of Running wild, in fact it has been for 15 or 20 years. It wasn't always like that. But it's been essential, and so we said, we'll do it. My outfit, in a way, is a mixture of "Pirates of the Caribbean" and Kiss. Very glamorous, but still that style.

Sabina:
Hm. I'm really looking forward to it.

Rolf:
Yeah, it's cool, definitely. And the band also made an effort to keep up with the styling, and it worked out really well.

Sabina:
As somebody from Hamburg, what does Wacken Open Air mean to you? When did you hear about it?

Rolf:
That must have been sometime in the mid-90s, quite late. Of course, it used to be a rather small festival, but it kept growing and growing and got bigger and bigger. And today, I think, it is the biggest metal festival in the world, right?

Sabina:
I think so.

Rolf:
At least as far as metal is concerned.

Sabina:
Real metal only, definitely.

Rolf:
Well, and this made the idea so appealing, to quit Running wild after 30 years at 20 years' Wacken – it can't get any better. It's a match. And so I think this is the right setting to end such a thing. I mean, how many people are here today? I don't know, maybe 120.000. No idea. This really is a worthy setting to end it.

Sabina:
Honestly, as an old Running wild fan – I still own that demo, I haven't found it yet, but I know that I have it somewhere, your first demo. And I remember that we imitated it a bit with our (Holy) Moses demo, because we found it so cool, I still remember that – if you say that you will end it today, I feel a pain in my heart.

Rolf:
That's just natural, but, well, I'm not that kind of person who takes things to a point where it's not good any more, in a way. I think you should drop it while it's still hot, so to speak. And basically, I'm much more interested in the new tasks, the next things that will come, and so on. This is important for me right now. So, that's why I'm not sad. Like I said, I already started saying goodbye 4 years ago at the last tour. This is just an event that matched perfectly, so that we said: Yeah, this is a worthy setting to end it officially – with a show of 2 hours, where we only play classics, and where the fans could also participate in selecting, to some extent. Of course, we can't realize all of this, because I must also show consideration for our drummer. If you play double-bass, it is just not possible anymore at some point, physically. Especially talking about Running wild. So I think the setlist is well-balanced. The first of three parts will consist of classics that everybody knows. Then comes the surprise part, the whole middle part of the program, basically. And the last part will be classics again and – of course, you can guess what the final one will be. Well, it's almost obvious. What it started with.

Sabina:
You seem so calm. Unbelievable.

Rolf:
Yes. I am.

Sabina:
Would it touch you if you see a real hardcore Running wild fan getting tears in his eyes as you say goodbye?

Rolf:
It will happen, for sure. That's completely natural. We don't have to talk about that. That's obvious.

Sabina:
And that would even get inside you?

Rolf:
Yes, but like I said, it's not because I'm quitting Running wild, rather because he's feeling bad.

Sabina:
I wish you all the best. I will – well, I never watch too many bands when I'm walking around Wacken. But I know I will be one of those people who will have to swallow when you say goodbye.

Rolf:
You still have some time.

Sabina:
Let me give you a hug. All the best for the stage, I wish you a great show with your guys and … kick some ass! And also all the best for the next steps after Running wild.

Rolf:
Definitely. Thanks!

[translation by Uli Bauer + Seewolf]